We offer Cartoon Character Rigging & Character Animation Workshop in BLENDER!
Our workshops are designed for all levels of riggers and animators.
The workshop includes class instruction which goes over lecture, review, assignment and Q/A.
Below is the summary of all available workshops!
“Cartoon Character Rigging Workshop”
Cartoon Character Rigging Workshop in BLENDER from Puppeteer Lounge on Vimeo.
We will learn how to make a powerful rig for a cartoon biped character in the open source software Blender. Focusing on making a rig that can be easily transferable and reused on other characters with minimal extra work.”
- Class 1 – Reference study. The base skeleton setup.
- Class 2 – A stretchy IK/FK style spine.
- Class 3 – Finger and palm controls.
- Class 4 – IK/FK switching systems for limbs.
- Class 5 – FK hinge switching system for FK limbs.
- Class 6 – Stretchy IK limbs with an extra joint bone for extra stretchy control.
- Class 7 – Foot roll system.
- Class 8 – A full Facial animation system based around bones.
- Class 9 – Facial UI integration and facial control add-in.
- Class 9 – Creating, tweaking and mirroring weight groups.
- Class 10 – Intro into mesh shape keys.
- Class 11 – Mesh shape keys build and integration.
- Class 12 – Finalize the character rig by going though a checklist. Ready for character animation.
- Rigging a full body and facial cartoon character for production in Blender.
- $480 for the Online workshop.
- $240 for the Offline (pre-recorded) workshop
- Anyone with an interest in Character Rigging in BLENDER.
- Basic understanding of Blender required.
“Basics of Animation”
We will learn the basic principles of animation. Starting off from a bouncing ball to completing a walk-cycle with personality, we will learn about arc, timing, spacing, overlap, weight shift, anticipation, secondary movement, and exaggeration to achieve believable movement. Beginning animators must plant deep roots in to the basics if they hope to grow into the artists they aspire to become.
- Class 1 ~ Introduction: To start with we shall go through what we shall be doing in this course as well as taking a look at the main areas of Blender in which we will be creating and editing our animations.
- Class 2 ~ Bouncing Ball: To start with we shall go through what we shall be doing in this course as well as taking a look at the main areas of Blender in which we will be creating and editing our animations.
- Class 3 ~ Bouncing different Balls: Learning how changing the timing and intensity of our arcs can give the effect of different weighted balls.
- Class 4 ~ Bouncing off the Walls: Moving into 3D space, we’ll learn how to bounce our balls across our worlds. We will also start to add some squash and stretch to give our animation a little extra.
- Class 5 ~ Mr Legball: Our first character. A ball with legs. Giving us an introduction into animating with a rig in Blender.
- Class 6 ~ Jumping: Our first character animation. Teaching us anticipation, catch and follow through.
- Class 7 ~ The Walk Cycle: One of the most repeated animations you will encounter in your future as an animator. We’ll learn the different ways to approach it, and tricks to make it easier to accomplish.
- Class 8 ~ The Walk Cycle refinement: Cleaning up what we’ve done, paying attention to timing and spacing. We’ll also learn some tricks that Blender has for halving our workload.
- Class 9 ~ Putting style in our step: Changing a single pose in our walk cycle can turn our character into someone completely different. We’ll learn how what and where to do so to unlock several different characters.
- Class 10 ~Finishing up: We’ll go over everything we’ve learnt, as well as learning a few things that will make it easier next time around.
- $400 for the Online workshop.
- $200 for the Offline (pre-recorded) workshop
- No previous experience with Character Animation or Software Tools is required but it is helpful.
Instructor: Jeremy Davidson
Learn Character Rigging & Animation in Blender with Jeremy Davidson (of Tears of Steel and Sintel)
Putting style in our step